AMERICANS COUNT THE COST OF LIVING OUTDOORS AS NEW SURVEY REVEALS TWO-THIRDS OF HOMEOWNERS HAVE DAMAGE TO OUTDOOR PRODUCTS EVERY YEAR
Owners report spending more than $44 billion repair or replace damaged outdoor products, but less than 10% are aware that protection plans can cover outdoor furniture
SAN FRANCISCO, September 20, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — As the summer season draws to a close, millions of Americans are taking stock of the cost of living outdoors, according to a new survey by Allstate Protection Plans. It found that 88% of homeowners own outdoor products such as grills, patio furniture, security cameras, leaf blowers and mowers, and two-thirds have suffered damage to one or more of these products over the past year.
In addition, the investigation revealed:
- A nation of outdoor enthusiasts: Americans love the outdoors and having fun. The most common outdoor items are grills (67%), patio chairs (58%), patio tables (48%), outdoor lighting (48%) and lounge chairs (44%) . Just over three-quarters (79%) of homeowners say they use outdoor items at least once a week, and almost a quarter (22%) use them daily. Just over three-quarters (76%) of Americans who own outdoor products use their garden, porch, deck or balcony at least three times a week.
- Gadget gardens: Beyond outdoor furniture, Americans use all kinds of technology on their patios and in their gardens. The most common devices are electric leaf blowers (31%), outdoor security cameras (29%), portable outdoor speakers (27%), electric hedge trimmers/pole saws (26%) , ride-on mowers (21%), blowers/launchers (18%), built-in speakers (6%) and robotic pool cleaners (5%).
- External investments: Among households that purchased outdoor products last year, 51% spent between $1–$49929% spent between $500 – $2,499and 8% spent more $2,500.
While households are used to protecting objects and electronic devices inside a home, few people know that protection plans can also cover outdoor furniture and equipment. In fact, 54% of damaged outdoor products are immediately replaced rather than repaired.
- If only we knew: 61% of US homeowners know protection plans can cover smartphones, 60% know they can cover laptops and televisions, and 53% know major appliances can be protected. However, only 9% know patio tables can be covered, 7% know patio chairs and umbrellas can be covered, and only 6% know they can protect lounge chairs.
- Thus, Americans are:
- 10.2x more likely to know they can buy a smartphone protection plan than a lounge chair
- 6.7 times more likely to know they can buy a laptop protection plan than a patio table
- 8.7 times more likely to know they can buy a smartphone protection plan than a patio chair
- 8.6 times more likely to know they can buy a laptop protection plan than an umbrella
“We were surprised to find out how few people knew that outdoor items can be covered by protection plans compared to other products they buy. And we were surprised by the huge cost we pay when things go wrong or accidents happen outside,” said Jason Siciliano, vice president and global creative director at Allstate Protection Plans. “Our first instinct is to buy a replacement item instead of repairing what we have, which comes at a cost to our wallets and the environment. With this study, we hope to raise awareness of outdoor product protection plans so people can enjoy their outdoor gear for many years to come.”
For more information, visit www.AllstateProtectionPlans.com.
Allstate Protection Plan Outdoor Living Methodology and Data Sources
The Allstate Protection Plans Outdoor Living Survey was conducted in August 2022, collecting 1,003 responses from a representative sample of American adults online using RepData. Population calculations were made using population and household estimates from the 2021 U.S. Census.
About Allstate Protection Plans
For more than a decade, Allstate Protection Plans has transformed the extended warranty industry through service innovation and an obsessive focus on customer experience. Today, more than 140 million customers trust Allstate Protection Plans, in addition to major retailers and wireless carriers in North America, Europe, Japanand Australia. Allstate Protection Plans are available for furniture, appliances, mobile devices, electronics, and more than 20 other product categories. Allstate Protection Plans is a wholly owned subsidiary of The Allstate Corporation.
Allstate Protection Plans Media Contact:
Ian Twin | Communication Marketing Tandem
[email protected]| (917) 3067270
SOURCE Allstate Protection Plans